Friday, February 15, 2008

BLOG ASSIGNMENT #4

Hello Everyone!

Wow! I really loved this article, is very interesting and very straight forward. I think Joe Nocera did a great job. Even though he seems very in favor of "fair use" I defenitely agree with his point. As many things do, copyright has deviated from its orginigal purpose: stimulate creativity. It is only for the profit nowadays, I myself recognize that if I ever think of having copy rights it would be so other people can't make profit out of it. Internet is a big contributor of this war. I call it war because all companies are constantly looking for the enemy stealing the work. I think we as as society need to be a lot more tolerant and open minded. Instead of everybody sueing, copyright law could be modified and have exceptions. I'm not saying giving work of others for free, but make exceptions for schools, personal use, or the use of small fragments. J.K Rowling does have the right over Harry Potter characters and everything invloving what she but the other content of the encycopedia came out of the other creator's head. Indeed this issue about copy rights is very complicated. But it is sad that for a teacher to show a song on the presentation about science or history a whole complex process needs to be performed. Companies should be aware that some people do not have the intention to steal their work but to get an ispiration from it. As we can see it on youtube, creativity is on it's maximum point. People get a space to express themselves, we need to be a little bit aware that this world is so globalized that ideas are flowing every second and that even though we need to respect we also have to be tolerant and contribute with each other.

1 comment:

R. Jungman said...

You have some very insightful comments here, Andrea, especially when you say, "even though we need to respect we also have to be tolerant and contribute with each other." Perhaps the desire to protect "intellectual property" has gotten in the way of promoting creativity.