Wednesday, February 6, 2008

BLOG ASSIGNMENT #3

Hello Everyone!

This professor's point of view is really interesting. I that for most teachers in the world wikipedia is still not the best source. Michael Bess makes a very interesting approach. I could tell that he is a very open minded professor and he mentioned something very ture, if you can't fight it, join it. Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia that is famous worldwide and it is a true phenomenon. I think his main argument was how interesting, but at the same time how dull and stupid wikipedia could be. I agree what he said about Britanica Encyclopedia, I think that, not only this encyclopedia specifically, but all of them are only for a quick reference. A reminder of history with details. In order to discuss and analyze topics people's point of view is needed. Therefore, the very interesting thing about Wikipedia is that everyone can click on edit and refuse or enrich someone else's contribution.

There is nothing wrong with wikipedia as long as we try to keep it safe and real. It is part of the Web 2.0 revolution and it's becoming one of the best forums for people, like you and me, to express their knowledge. Wikipedia is a monster that I think there is no way to stop it. Education obviously should not adopt it as a main source, because there is a lot of wrong information in there. But, what I think would be interesting is to use Wikipedia as a tool for investigation and debate. The fear of the professors for Wikipedia should turn into an acceptance for an inevitable phenomenon.

Thanks.

1 comment:

R. Jungman said...

I definitely agree, Andrea, that teachers should "use Wikipedia as a tool for investigation and debate." Teachers most of all need to help students evaluate information.